Welcome to our kitchen, where we’re about to embark on a culinary journey that will tantalize your taste buds and warm your soul. Today, we’re sharing our cherished recipe for Butter Pound Cake—a timeless classic that embodies comfort, indulgence, and pure buttery bliss. Prepare to elevate your dessert game with this decadent treat that’s perfect for any occasion, from holiday gatherings to cozy family dinners.
The origins of pound cake can be traced back centuries, with its name derived from the traditional recipe that called for a pound each of flour, butter, sugar, and eggs. Over time, this beloved dessert has evolved into countless variations, each offering its own unique twist on the original. Our Butter Pound Cake pays homage to this rich culinary history while adding a touch of modern flair.
For the Cake:
- 3 sticks of salted butter, softened
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup of buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
For the Glaze:
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of light corn syrup
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Preheat and Prepare:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a bundt cake pan to ensure easy release of the cake.
2. Cream the Butter and Sugar:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy, using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
3. Add Vanilla and Eggs:
- Once the butter and sugar are well combined, add in the vanilla extract, followed by the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Incorporate Wet Ingredients:
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the buttermilk and sour cream to the batter until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure even mixing.
5. Sift Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, sift together the cake flour and all-purpose flour to remove any lumps and aerate the mixture.
6. Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients:
- Gradually add the sifted flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing until a smooth batter forms. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in a dense cake.
7. Bake the Cake:
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan, smoothing the top with a spatula to ensure an even surface. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Prepare the Glaze:
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze by melting the butter in a small pot over low to medium heat. Stir in the sugar and corn syrup, allowing the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes before removing from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract.
9. Glaze and Garnish:
- Once the cake is baked, allow it to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack. While the cake is still warm, poke holes around the top using a toothpick, then pour the prepared glaze over the cake, allowing it to seep into the holes. Once the cake has cooled completely, dust with powdered sugar for a beautiful finishing touch.
There you have it—our irresistible Butter Pound Cake recipe that’s sure to become a staple in your dessert repertoire. With its rich, buttery flavor and moist, tender crumb, this cake is guaranteed to delight your senses and leave you craving more. Whether you’re hosting a holiday feast or simply craving a sweet indulgence, this classic dessert is always a winner. So, roll up your sleeves, preheat your oven, and get ready to bake up a slice of pure bliss!