Indulge your sweet tooth with our irresistible Decadent German Chocolate Brownies! These heavenly treats combine the rich, fudgy goodness of classic brownies with the luxurious flavors of coconut, pecans, and chocolate. Perfect for any occasion, from casual gatherings to elegant dinner parties, these brownies are sure to impress even the most discerning palate. Follow our step-by-step recipe to create a batch of these mouthwatering delights and treat yourself to a taste of pure bliss.
German Chocolate Brownies have a fascinating history that dates back to the 1950s when a recipe for “German’s Chocolate Cake” was first published in a Dallas newspaper. Contrary to popular belief, the cake was not of German origin but was named after Samuel German, an American chocolate maker who developed the brand of baking chocolate used in the recipe. Over time, bakers began experimenting with the decadent flavors of German’s Chocolate in other desserts, including brownies. Today, German Chocolate Brownies remain a beloved treat, cherished for their rich flavor and irresistible texture.
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup salted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 4 ounces German chocolate baking bar, broken into squares
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
For the Topping:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup salted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups toasted coconut
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Melted chocolate melting wafers for garnish (optional)
Preparing the Brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the German chocolate squares and stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the sugar until combined and smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking each one in fully before adding the next.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir in the sifted flour until fully combined and no dry patches remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-38 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the baking dish to a wire rack to cool completely.
Making the Topping:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and stir until the butter is melted.
- Continue stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens slightly, about 12 minutes.
- Add the toasted coconut, chopped pecans, and vanilla extract to the saucepan, stirring to combine.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the topping is thickened and spreadable.
- Pour the topping over the cooled brownies and use an offset spatula to smooth it out.
- Allow the topping to cool completely before cutting the brownies into bars.
- If desired, drizzle melted chocolate wafers over the top of the brownies for an extra touch of decadence.
With their rich chocolate flavor, chewy texture, and decadent topping, our Decadent German Chocolate Brownies are sure to become a favorite in your household. Whether you’re craving a sweet treat for yourself or looking to impress guests at your next gathering, these brownies are the perfect choice. Follow our easy recipe and indulge in a little slice of dessert heaven today!