Chocolate donuts? YES, please! These Keto Chocolate Donuts with Sprinkles are the bomb-digity. Cake-like, moist and chocolate-covered with sprinkles, these keto donuts are the perfect sweet treat for breakfast or snack.
Keto Chocolate Donuts Recipe with Sprinkles Ingredients
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup swerve or 1/2 cup monk fruit
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- Sugar-free sprinkles (or make your own keto sprinkles)
Sugar-Free Ganache Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar-free Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips
Keto Chocolate Donuts Recipe with Sprinkles Instructions
- Add butter, vanilla, cream, eggs in bowl-mix just enough to blend.
- In another bowl mix dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients slowly to wet and mix.
- Put mixture into zip lock bags (I put the bag inside a jar to hold it then put the batter in and cut one tip to form a piping bag) put the batter in each mold (6 donut mold (this made 8 for me)).
- Bake at 375 degrees and for 15 min, let cool.
Sugar-Free Ganache Recipe Instructions
- Heat 1/2 cup of heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds. The temperature of the liquid should be between 90 and 110 degrees. Don’t go over that because it will scold the cream.
- Remove it from the microwave and add 1/2 cup of sugar-free Lily’s dark chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for 2 full minutes to allow the cream to melt the chocolate.
- Remove the plastic and start to slowly mix the chocolate and cream together with a whisk.
- After about a minute of stirring start to vigorously mix the chocolate to allow it to come together.
- Ganache stays good in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Keto Chocolate Donuts Recipe with Sprinkles Nutrition
Calories 198, Total C 7.8g, Fiber 1.9g, Net C 5.9g, Sugars 1.1g, Fat 13.1g, Protein 4.3g
Here is a video we made to show you how to make this keto donuts recipe.
History and Origins of the Recipe
The origins of these Keto Chocolate Donuts with Sprinkles can be traced back to the growing popularity of ketogenic diets. As people seek healthier alternatives to traditional sweets, the need for low-carb and sugar-free options has risen. These delightful donuts are a creative adaptation of the classic chocolate donut, reimagined to fit into a keto-friendly lifestyle.
Tools Needed and Cooking Details
To prepare these keto chocolate donuts, you’ll need a mixing bowl, zip lock bags or a piping bag, and a donut mold. The recipe serves 12, and the entire process, from mixing to baking, takes approximately 15 minutes at 375 degrees. The moist and cake-like texture of these donuts makes them a delightful addition to your keto breakfast or snack routine.
Ingredients and Possible Replacements
Each ingredient in this recipe plays a crucial role in achieving the perfect keto chocolate donut. Here’s a breakdown of the key components and possible replacements:
- Butter: 5 tablespoons – No direct replacement; consider ghee for a different flavor.
- Vanilla: 2 teaspoons – Use vanilla extract or other keto-friendly flavorings.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: 3/4 cup – Coconut cream is a suitable dairy-free alternative.
- Eggs: 2 – For an egg-free version, try using flax eggs or chia eggs.
- Swerve or Monk Fruit: 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup – Adjust sweetness with your preferred keto-friendly sweetener.
- Almond Flour: 1 1/2 cups – Hazelnut or coconut flour can be used, but adjustments may be needed.
- Psyllium Husk:1 teaspoon – Omit if unavailable; it adds structure but is not essential.
- Xanthan Gum: 1 teaspoon – Guar gum is a potential substitute for texture improvement.
- Unsweetened Cocoa: 1/2 cup – Use high-quality cocoa powder for the best flavor.
- Sugar-Free Sprinkles: – Easily make your own keto sprinkles using colored sweeteners.
Steps to Make Keto Chocolate Donuts with Sprinkles
Follow these steps to create the perfect batch of keto chocolate donuts:
- Combine butter, vanilla, cream, and eggs in a bowl; mix until blended.
- In another bowl, blend the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the batter into zip lock bags or a piping bag and fill each donut mold (recipe yields approximately 8 donuts).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes and allow the donuts to cool.
Top 4 Mistakes People Usually Make and How to Avoid Them
Mistake 1: Overmixing the Batter
Overmixing can lead to dense donuts. Mix only until ingredients are combined to maintain a light, cake-like texture.
Mistake 2: Incorrect Chocolate Temperature for Ganache
Ensure the chocolate doesn’t scorch the cream. Keep the temperature between 90 and 110 degrees during the ganache preparation.
Mistake 3: Neglecting Cooling Time
Allow the donuts to cool properly after baking. Rushing this step may affect the texture and flavor.
Mistake 4: Using Low-Quality Cocoa
Choose high-quality cocoa for a rich chocolate flavor. Subpar cocoa can impact the overall taste of the donuts.
FAQ for 5 Questions about This Recipe
1. Can I Use Coconut Flour Instead of Almond Flour?
While possible, coconut flour absorbs more liquid, so adjustments are needed. It’s recommended to stick to almond flour for the best results.
2. How Long Does Ganache Last?
Ganache stays good in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, making it a convenient topping for multiple batches of donuts.
3. Is There a Dairy-Free Alternative for Heavy Whipping Cream?
Yes, coconut cream serves as an excellent dairy-free alternative, ensuring a luscious texture in the donuts.
4. Can I Skip Psyllium Husk in the Recipe?
While psyllium husk adds structure, it’s not essential. Feel free to omit if unavailable; the donuts will still turn out delicious.
5. What’s the Best Sweetener for This Recipe?
Swerve and monk fruit are recommended sweeteners, but you can adjust based on personal preference. Taste the batter and add more if needed.
Indulge in the guilt-free pleasure of these Keto Chocolate Donuts with Sprinkles. By following the detailed steps and avoiding common mistakes, you’ll treat yourself to a delightful keto-friendly dessert. Experiment with different sweeteners and enjoy the flexibility of this recipe that caters to your taste buds and dietary preferences.