Indulge in the exquisite flavors of Italy with our sumptuous Tuscan Shrimp With Gnocchi recipe. This culinary masterpiece combines tender shrimp, pillowy gnocchi, and a creamy, herb-infused sauce to create a dish that will tantalize your taste buds and transport you to the heart of Tuscany. Perfect for a cozy dinner at home or entertaining guests, this recipe is sure to impress with its rich flavors and elegant presentation.
A Brief History of Tuscan Cuisine
Tuscan cuisine is renowned for its simplicity and emphasis on fresh, high-quality ingredients. Influenced by the bountiful produce of the region and the culinary traditions of Tuscany, Tuscan dishes are characterized by their rustic yet refined flavors. From hearty soups and stews to delicate pastas and seafood dishes, Tuscan cuisine celebrates the vibrant flavors of the Mediterranean with a focus on seasonal ingredients and traditional cooking techniques.
Ingredients for Tuscan Shrimp With Gnocchi
- 1 pound (16 ounces) gnocchi: Gnocchi are soft, pillowy Italian dumplings made from potatoes, flour, and eggs, adding a delightful texture to the dish.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil adds depth and richness to the sauce while enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter: Butter lends a velvety smoothness to the sauce, complementing the creaminess of the dish.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced: Garlic infuses the sauce with its aromatic flavor, adding depth and complexity to the dish.
- 1 cup heavy cream: Heavy cream provides a luscious, velvety texture to the sauce, creating a luxurious mouthfeel.
- ½ cup seafood stock or broth: Seafood stock adds a savory depth of flavor to the sauce, enhancing the shrimp’s natural sweetness.
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese: Parmesan cheese adds a nutty, salty richness to the sauce, balancing the flavors of the dish.
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour: Flour acts as a thickening agent, helping to bind the sauce together and create a smooth, creamy consistency.
- 2 cups spinach: Fresh spinach adds a vibrant pop of color and a nutritious element to the dish, wilting into the sauce and imparting its earthy flavor.
- 1 jar (7 ounces) sun-dried tomatoes, with juices slightly drained: Sun-dried tomatoes add a sweet, tangy burst of flavor to the dish, balancing the richness of the sauce.
- 1 pound shrimp: Plump, succulent shrimp are the star of the dish, providing a delicate sweetness and tender texture.
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt: Kosher salt enhances the flavors of the dish, bringing out the natural sweetness of the shrimp and balancing the richness of the sauce.
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper: Freshly ground black pepper adds a subtle heat and depth of flavor to the dish, complementing the other ingredients.
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley: Fresh parsley adds a vibrant pop of color and a fresh, herbaceous flavor to the finished dish, garnishing it beautifully.
1. Prepare the Gnocchi
If using shelf-stable gnocchi, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions until they float to the surface, indicating that they are cooked through. Drain the gnocchi and set aside.
2. Make the Creamy Sauce
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and melt the unsalted butter until foamy. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
Pour in the heavy cream and seafood stock, stirring to combine. Sprinkle in the grated parmesan cheese and all-purpose flour, whisking continuously until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
3. Add the Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Fold in the fresh spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, allowing them to wilt slightly in the creamy sauce. Stir gently to incorporate the ingredients evenly.
4. Cook the Shrimp
Add the shrimp to the skillet, arranging them in a single layer. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they turn pink and opaque.
5. Combine the Gnocchi and Sauce
Once the shrimp are cooked through, add the cooked gnocchi to the skillet, gently folding them into the creamy sauce until they are evenly coated.
6. Season and Garnish
Season the Tuscan Shrimp With Gnocchi with kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for a vibrant burst of flavor and color.
7. Serve and Enjoy
Transfer the Tuscan Shrimp With Gnocchi to serving plates or a large platter, ensuring to distribute the shrimp, gnocchi, and sauce evenly. Serve immediately, savoring each bite of this delightful Italian-inspired dish.
With its luxurious creamy sauce, tender shrimp, and pillowy gnocchi, our Tuscan Shrimp With Gnocchi recipe is a true celebration of Italian flavors. Whether enjoyed for a cozy dinner at home or shared with friends and family, this dish is sure to impress with its rich, comforting taste and elegant presentation. Buon appetito!